Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Beginnings of a Kitchen Renovation

  Hello,folks!!It seems like ages since I posted.I've been busy with a lot of projects this year,but haven't got around to posting about them.One of the bigger projects was redoing part of the kitchen.
  I could spend hours drooling over kitchens-even tho cooking and baking aren't at the top on my favorite-things-to-do list.I love well organized drawers and cupboards.I like stacks of pretty dishes.I really like my kitchen-it's big and has lots of cupboard/counter space.I don't want to complain-I know my kitchen is nicer and bigger than probably over 50% of the ladies' in this world.But it isn't my style.I used to cut out pictures of kitchens--back before the days of Internet and Pinterest.They all had one thing in common-white cabinets with a farmhouse/french theme.I know that's the rage in Blogland right now.I liked it long before that.I used to dream of cooking in a cute white kitchen when I got married.I didn't get one.I got one with laminate oak cabinets,green striped walls,green countertops/backsplash and a big weird shaped island.But,I'm slowly working to change that.


Here is my kitchen.It is really lacking in style.And yes,there are dirty dishes piled up.Me and Hubby got inspired to tear down the cabinet above the island one night while eating supper.No more head-bumping while wiping off the counter-a big problem for an almost 6 foot lady who hates dirty counters!!!This cabinet also blocked the view from the livingroom.There is a flourescent light beside it that was covered with a plastic cover and an oak frame.We tore down the frame and cover.The light will be exchanged eventually and an old/old looking beam put up to cover the small hole in the ceiling where the cabinet had been.


The only thing we kept in the cabinet was my many goblets.


Looking into the livingroom.Imagine me at the stove-doing a half-squat to talk to Hubby who is sitting on the couch.OK,don't imagine.The visual isn't pleasant.And why are some of the only pictures of the kitchen full of dishes and toys??


Hubby did the work while I did the happy dance!=)


I thought I had a pic of this left wall,but you get the point.4 frosted glass paned doors on top and 4 wood ones on the bottom.We tore these cupboards down as well.




So much space!!I couldn't believe how much bigger it felt.Wide open,baby!! I didn't get pictures of the next steps because I did most of it myself.I took down the chair rail trim and put up beadboard wallpaper on the whole wall.I could've saved more money if I would've went up halfway with it-great after thought.But I'm happy with how it looks now.



I found a gallon of mistinted paint at WalMart for $8.I wanted white,but this was cheaper.My cream colored dishes don't stand out as well as I had hoped.I may still repaint one day if it really bugs me too much.=)


This lil guy got into the paint when I forgot to put the lid on.Thankfully,none went in his mouth!!


We bought shelving wood shelving and brackets at Lowes.I painted them plain old white with some paint I had on hand.Hubby had a few frustrating moments hanging them.He discovered after hanging them that the floor under the shelves has a dip in it,so they aren't hanging perfectly level.But you really don't notice it once they are full of dishes...We'll pretend that anyway.
   Stay tuned for pictures of the finished product!!


No comments:

Post a Comment