Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers

                  
Father Meaning and Definition
  1. (n.) A respectful mode of address to an old man.
  2. (n.) A male ancestor more remote than a parent; a progenitor; especially, a first ancestor; a founder of a race or family; -- in the plural, fathers, ancestors.
  3. (n.) One who, or that which, gives origin; an originator; a producer, author, or contriver; the first to practice any art, profession, or occupation; a distinguished example or teacher.
  4. (v. t.) To make one's self the father of; to beget.
  5. (v. t.) To take as one's own child; to adopt; hence, to assume as one's own work; to acknowledge one's self author of or responsible for (a statement, policy, etc.).
  6. (n.) One who has begotten a child, whether son or daughter; a generator; a male parent.
  7. (n.) One who performs the offices of a parent by maintenance, affetionate care, counsel, or protection.
  8. (v. t.) To provide with a father.
  9. (n.) A senator of ancient Rome.
  10. (n.) One of the chief esslesiastical authorities of the first centuries after Christ; -- often spoken of collectively as the Fathers; as, the Latin, Greek, or apostolic Fathers.
  11. (n.) A dignitary of the church, a superior of a convent, a confessor (called also father confessor), or a priest; also, the eldest member of a profession, or of a legislative assembly, etc.
  12. (n.) The Supreme Being and Creator; God; in theology, the
    first person in the Trinity                                      
Today I want to honor all the fathers in my life.I have been blessed with godly fathers.My Father,Father-in-law & Grandfather have taught me about the important things in life-God,family,church,work & play.Weather is something they all enjoy watching. & discussing.My Grandpa from Mississippi records the weather in a little book.I'll always be thankful for the heritage I have and the examples they have been to me .I remember seeing all of them reading their Bibles,praying before meal times and going to church.
 I love watching my husband fulfilling his role as a father.It's helping him become a better person-I see love,pride,commitment and a caring heart in him more then ever.He has big plans for his children.As a mother-I want to do the best I can do to help him by praying for him,loving & respecting him with all my heart and being ther to encourage him.I am so glad that he is my child's father and I think Kobe is a lucky little fellow!!This Father's Day was his 1st one.Well,last year we had just found out he was going to be a father!!=)And we celebrated!
Brand New Father
Me & Kobe with my Dad & Grandpa
                  My Grandpa & Grandma Miller

Some quotes I found about fathers~

"When I was a buy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
- Mark Twain
Sherman made the terrible discovery that men make about their fathers sooner or later... that the man before him was not an aging father but a boy, a boy much like himself, a boy who grew up and had a child of his own and, as best he could, out of a sense of duty and, perhaps love, adopted a role called Being a Father so that his child would have something mythical and infinitely important: a Protector, who would keep a lid on all the chaotic and catastrophic possibilities of life. ~Tom Wolfe, The Bonfire of the Vanities

        "It is a wise father that knows his own child."
- William Shakespeare: The Merchant of Venice  

              "Directly after God in heaven comes a Papa."
- Mozart as a boy.  

   Thank God~the best Father of all~for your father today!!   



2 comments:

  1. Lovely, honest words about your father and men in your heritage. Your post was refreshing!
    Oh, and I lOVE the boat! Awesome meaning!

    ReplyDelete